Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fear of the Unknown

I took my grandson to the dentist today. Though we had discussed what would be taking place regarding filling 3 teeth and pulling 1 tooth, he was apprehensive. I prepared him for the novocaine and it's `beautiful side,' of drilling pain free. I told him he would have the advantage of `laughing gas' which must have been unavailable when I was little. I thought I had extinguished every fear.

It appeared the gas was not working for him, the daub of pre-novocaine before the shot comes felt too weird and he denied that it was doing anything but tasting funny. When the shot of novocaine was in the steady hand of the dentist my grandson said loudly "wait, where's my gramma?" I came back into site and held his hands. After much discussion at home and a previous experience of NOT letting the dentist get in enough novocaine, he knew he had to `buck up,' and so he did. Little tears ran down his face as he tried to focus on the tv mounted into the ceiling (what is up with that!)

When it was all said and done, my grandson jumped out of the chair, thanked everyone and headed to the prize drawer. All the way home he chatted about how it "wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be."

And that's just it. Worry comes from fear of the unknown. Experience, good or bad, takes the sting out the next time you have to endure. That's all fine and dandy, but what about the FIRST experience? You can't waste time wondering when things will go wrong and what you will do when it does. But what you CAN do is keep your vibration high by meditating, being grateful, doing energy work, and laughing etc. When you participate in your own well being you find that you react very differently to situations that would normally `tip you over.'

Don't believe me?...then "just do it," and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment