Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Cheap Lesson To Learn

This weekend is being spent at a Christmas show with Style In Stone Jewelry. This type of show is not my regular venue. I decided to step out of my realm of `wellness shows' and see if my jewelry will sell well when shown to people who have come to shop for others for Christmas. People who probably have no thought about metaphysical properties of stones, the electro magnetic field or the healing sound of a Tibetan singing bowl. And by the way, I'll be keeping all that to myself:)

There are more jewelry tables at this show then any other `wares.' What I learn will help me decide what type of shows to put my jewelry in and what shows to avoid. The costs for the tables are high and one can't afford to make too many mistakes. The time is something I can never get back or reuse. Will the experience be worth the risk?

Have you ever been in a similar position? Have you chosen to stay `safe' instead of sticking your neck out? When confronted with a situation like this I ask myself `if this goes bad, can I live with the worst of the (rational) consequences as a result of my decision? If I can answer `yes' to that, I'm in!

What I've learned is that people are enjoying my jewelry, but prefer to buy lesser quality, more trendy pieces. Ladies want to buy many pieces, regardless of materials used to match their outfits, as opposed to wearing natural stones with precious metals.

The good news is that each day a friend that I haven't spent much time with in the past 5 years (only because I have been living elsewhere) came to help me. Wow, great visiting time, good ethnic food, music and bumping into old friends and acquaintances that I have really missed!

So the lesson I have learned really didn't cost me a whole lot and the return was more valuable then my rationalization had in mind.

Oh, the other thing I learned is that I'm back in a rural part of the country and the cliental here does not grasp the concept of a boot bracelet:)

No comments:

Post a Comment